The secret to adding interest to any room; colors never need to match but simply coordinate. Here are a few tips I learned over the 25 years that interior design has swallowed up my life (but in a delicious way).
1. Work in odd numbers of patterns (the rule of 3 as applied to most things styled)
2. Use different scales of fabric such as large, medium, and small or floral, geometric, and classic (think Ralph Lauren)
3. Use larger patterns on bigger pieces (example; sofa or drapery). Use smaller fabrics on pillows or footstools.
4. Use a rug to incorporate all the colors used in the room.
5. Even in a monochromatic room, use scales and patterns that vary in size.
6. Here’s a novel idea, add a solid…
7. Group patterns together (traditional with traditional, cottage with cottage)
8. Balance fabrics in the space making sure the room is surrounded by comfort.
9. Stick with a consistent look. If you love farmhouse fabulous, then bring it on baby.
10. Break ever rule I just gave you.