Recently I read a wonderful article about my adopted grandmother (or so I wish) Iris Arpel. A woman of breeding, beauty, and a “don’t give a shit” attitude. Just an afternoon in New York City with this icon would top my Bucket List along with seeing the United Arab Emirates, Machu Picchu, Great Barrier Reef, Terracotta Army, Congregation of Holy Cross, Victoria Harbor, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and, eating at Noma, purchasing unlimited Chanel, being Amal Clooney (George only a small part of that wish), and spending a week or two at a Spa with no phone availability to my children.
The journalistic briefing included her beliefs on the fashionable and why, I asked, should we follow her rules. Because she’s Iris f…ing Arpel.
1. Power clashing because mixing clothes is a total “boss move.”
2. No age limit on biker jackets or any other clothing considered “fashionable” for the moment.
3. Sneakers; perfect for any style of outfit.
4. Ignore Coco Chanel. Never take off a piece but add more.
5. Overdressed? There’s no such thing…
6. Monochromatic is boring!
7. Black doesn’t necessarily mean basic.
8. Switch it up
9. Creativity starts with curiosity.
10. Humor is always stylish.
11. Acknowledge your accomplishments
12. Forget the rules and just be yourself.